I was lucky enough to be invited to Afternoon Tea at The Windsor recently, and I was thrilled that I could spend the afternoon there with my mum.
I remember as a little girl, my Grandmother telling me stories of when she was younger and she and some girlfriends would get dressed up and catch the train in to the city to enjoy afternoon tea at a magnificent hotel. I always thought it sounded so glamorous and hoped that when I grew up I would do something similar.
It wasn’t until mum and I sat down and started talking about her that afternoon, that my mum told me that the Hotel Windsor was THE same place that my grandma loved coming too, more than 60 years ago.
Located at 111 Spring St, Melbourne (opposite Parliament House), The Hotel Windsor has been serving Afternoon Tea every day since 1883.
It’s not hard to see why their Afternoon Tea is iconic in Melbourne.
In addition to ribbon sandwiches and the hotel’s famous scones served with double cream and Windsor jams, we also enjoyed a yummy selection of pastries that included the classic Lemon Meringue Pie (one of my all time favs), Chocolate Éclair, Mille Feuille, Bakewell Tart, and the famous Sacher Torte.
We were also treated to a glass of sparkling wine on arrival.
With 15 exclusive teas to choose from, I settled on the The Hotel Windsor Afternoon Blend and cherished being able to drink my (three cups of) tea while still hot (a luxury not often afforded to mums).
An indulgent dessert buffet is featured on weekends for those of you with a really sweet tooth.
The Windsor offers two afternoon tea sittings seven days a week, at 12 noon and 2.30pm. The cost for weekday afternoon tea is $59 and $79 for weekends. Bookings are essential for weekends. Visit www.thehotelwindsor.com.au for further info.
The Windsor is celebrating its 130th anniversary in 2013. Built in 1883, the 180-room hotel pre-dates the Savoy in London, which was built in 1889, the Waldorf Astoria in New York which dates back to 1893, and the Ritz Paris which opened in 1898.
To celebrate this momentous occasion, The Hotel Windsor and Melbourne Mamma are giving one lucky reader the opportunity to WIN Afternoon Tea for Two at The Hotel Windsor.
See below to Enter:
Entry is open to all Melbourne Mamma newsletter subscribers. Subscribe to newsletter here.
Competition ends Sunday, 21 July 2013 at 11:59 pm AEST. Read Terms & Conditions below.
Terms & Conditions
1. Eligible Entrants must be or become a subscriber to Melbourne Mamma’s newsletters. To subscribe click here.
2. Entrants must already be a liker or become a liker of The Hotel Windsor’s facebook page.
3. Entrants can earn one bonus entry by answering the following question in the comments below “If you could have afternoon tea with somebody famous (alive or deceased), who would it be and why?
4. Entrants can earn one bonus entry if they are already likers or become likers of Melbourne Mamma’s Facebook page.
5. Afternoon Tea for Two at The Hotel Windsor is for valid for bookings Monday to Friday (valued at $118).
6. Entry is open to Victorian residents, aged 18 years and over.
7. Giveaway commences on 12 July 2013 and concludes at 11.59pm 21 July 2013.
8. Winners will be notified by email and announced on this website. Any prize not claimed by 25 July 2013 will be redrawn.
9. This Promotion is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook.